We call on Governor Cuomo to immediately use his clemency powers to free criminalized survivors of gender violence held in prisons in New York.
End the criminalization of survivors of domestic and sexual violence!
Read survivors' stories!
Participate in the call-in campaign to Cuomo's office on Wednesday November 14th
What is our call to action?
We’re asking Governor Cuomo and his administration to use his unlimited power to grant clemency and grant commutations to criminalized survivors of Domestic Violence currently incarcerated throughout the New York State Prison System.
What is a phone zap?
Call-in campaigns, also known as “phone zaps,” are one of many tools to directly let public officials and others know what you want them to do or to stop doing.
Who are we targeting?
- Office of Governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo -- 518-474-8343 or 212-681-7753
- Counsel to the Governor, Alphonso B David -- 212-681-7753
- Executive Clemency Bureau -- (518) 457-7565
You can access a sample script here.
Throughout his time in office, Governor Cuomo has granted pardons to just 163 people, and commuted the sentences of only a dozen people.
These numbers are pitifully low compared to the more than 50,000 people held in prisons across New York State.
The New York State Constitution grants the governor power to pardon or commute any sentence, at any time, for any reason. Our campaign calls on Governor Cuomo to use the powers of his office to immediately free criminalized survivors of gender violence!
The words of the only survivor whose sentence Cuomo has commuted
See the list of endorsing organizations!
Find out how you can support the postcard campaign to send Cuomo 10,000 postcards in support of clemency.
Or, other ways you can support!
- How Organizers Made Survivors’ Incarceration an Issue in the Cuomo/Nixon Race
New York Woman Imprisoned For Defending Herself From Abuser Seeks Mercy
Jacqueline Smalls was sentenced to 15 years in prison for killing a boyfriend whose "hands were his weapons"; she now joins the ranks of criminalized survivors seeking clemency from New York Gov. Cuomo.
- Why It Matters That an Imprisoned Domestic-Violence Survivor Was Granted Clemency
- Cynthia Nixon’s Plan to Stem Mass Incarceration Has a Uniquely Feminist Provision
- Cuomo the Merciless
- Andrew Cuomo Under Pressure To Free Women Imprisoned For Killing Abusers